As Primary Care colleagues working within an incredibly pressured space right now, we’d like to invite you to take a look at some of our offers designed to support your health and wellbeing. Each of these offers is designed as a short, practical help that can fit around busy schedules. Some are live sessions that you can book onto and some are pre-recorded or self-help guides. Research suggests that even small amounts of time taken for self-care improve cognitive function, productivity and our ability to support others.
Understanding Trauma in Healthcare – What leaders need to know about how to support their staff and themselves Espresso
About this session:
This 90-minute leadership espresso is for leaders in the NHS who would like to understand what trauma looks like and how it can impact your staff and yourself. The session will focus on:
- An understanding of what trauma is, how it impacts people at an individual level and the systems or teams they work within.
- Recognising when staff may be traumatised and helping staff to access the help and support they need
- Understanding and using the 5-pillar framework as a tool to benefit the workforce and their wellbeing
- Understanding trauma through the lens of inclusion and equality
You will be invited to share experiences and commit to an action to take back into your workplace to apply your learning in a tangible way.
Please be aware that this session will support you as a line manager to signpost staff to appropriate resources and services, this is not about training you to provide that support yourself.
The session will be virtually delivered on Microsoft Teams
Who the session is for:
This virtual event is for colleagues working in Primary Care who are NHS staff or staff delivering NHS funded care only.
Book your place:
This espresso will run on two dates. Please register for only one date:
- Wednesday 24th November 14:00 – 15:30 – please reserve your place via the the RSVP booking system here
- Thursday 2nd December 9:30 – 11:00 – please reserve your place via the the RSVP booking system here.
You will receive the Joining Instructions on how to attend 1 week prior to the event
If your circumstances change and you can no longer attend, please email [email protected]
About the Facilitators:
Giles Allen developed an interest in trauma whilst working as an addiction psychiatrist in the Brighton Drug and Alcohol service for 10 years. Giles has also trained as a Jungian Analyst as well as an EMDR therapist, and continues to work in both the Public and Private Sector.
Mr Karol Kuczera works for NHS E/I in the South East region as an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and Staff experience & Wellbeing programme manager. By clinical background Karol is a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) practitioner. He also trained in Applied Cognitive Neuroscience. Karol is passionate about working with trauma and together with Giles Allen developed the Understanding Trauma in Healthcare programme which they are rolling out across the South East region.
Reflect, Revive and Refresh: A Pre-recorded Session for Individuals and Teams
This uplifting and engaging recording is designed for individuals and teams moving through recovery following the Covid pandemic. It will explore the latest developments in neuroscience, positive psychology and resilience to help you enhance your own well-being, feel less pressured and facilitate resilience and well-being in yourself, team and family.
This recorded session will help you to:
- explore how to calm negative emotions
- learn the scientifically proven tools and techniques that will have long term benefits for your wellbeing
- learn about the concept of psychoneuroimmunology
- explore your emotional regulation systems and how to interrupt toxic looping
- consider post traumatic growth and growth mindsets
This video is led by Rene Barret @renebarrett who has specialised in work around health, wellbeing and resilience. There are a series of pauses for thought and reflection throughout the video and an accompanying worksheet and slides. The session is designed as a resource that can be used at a number of levels:
- As an Individual: You can access the video and use the reflection sheet to reflect on your own thoughts and experiences
- As a Team: You can access the video as part of a team session and use the reflection sheet as a resource to reflect and capture thoughts as individuals or as a team
- As a Session Leader: If you work around a health and wellbeing remit you can use the video as a resource to help in health and wellbeing sessions that you may be leading with your teams with the accompanying reflection sheet
The video is 58 minutes long and we recommend factoring in some additional time for reflection. You may also want to consider accessing the video in smaller chunks of time. The structure is detailed here:
Reflect, Revive and Refresh – timestamps:
Section One: Up to min 26
- Riding the Coronacoaster
- Intrinsic Motivation
- Emotional Regulation Systems
- Pandemic Fatigue
Section Two: Up to min 36
- Positive Emotional States Build Resilience and Commitment
Section Three: Up to min 46
- Stimulating safe/soothing brain
- Post Traumatic Growth
Section Four: Up to min 58
- Self Care – Fending off Threat
- Personal Actions
- Links and resources