About the session:
A two-hour online collective inquiry into our experience of power in the workplace – and of the ways in which we might ethically improve our organisational presence and practice in this respect.
What to expect in this session:
In the course of this interactive event, participants will be invited to:
- Reflect on their personal understanding of power
- Explore power in the context of their workplace – both their own power and that of others
- Expand their understanding of power in an organisational context in order to develop a more nuanced view of it and the way in which it presents itself
By the end of the session, the inquiry will have provided attenders with the opportunity to:
- Acknowledge the way in which power inhabits organisational settings, notwithstanding corporate efforts to “disappear” it
- Appreciate how they personally experience power – and the ways in which their power might be being experienced
- Commit to rethinking their presence and practice in the workplace in a way that is positively mindful of the web of power in which we find ourselves enmeshed
What to expect Who is this session for?
The NHS Leadership Academy provides leadership development for people of all backgrounds and experiences across health and care.
Book your Place
- Thursday 29th September – 11:00 – 13:00
- Thursday 27th October – 11:00 – 13:00
- Thursday 24th November – 11:00 – 13:00
- Thursday 26th January 2023 – 11:00 – 13:00
- Thursday 23rd February 2023 – 11:00 – 13:00
- Thursday 30th March 2023 – 11:00 – 13:00
SELA will retain a record of your name, job role, organisation, band, and contact details on its secure alumni register and contacts database for management information and communications purposes. Although we will be able to see your name and email address upon submission, this data will be anonymised from the EDI details. We appreciate your support in providing this information, which will help us to ensure our leadership development interventions are widely accessible and inclusive.
Should you have any queries, or if your circumstances change and you can no longer attend, or you wish to opt out of the above arrangements, please contact [email protected].
If you are unable to attend any of the sessions above please register via our Expression of Interest page, this will help us to understand the demand for our programmes and plan accordingly. You will also be notified when we release new dates for this workshop.
The session will be virtually on MS Teams
About the Facilitator
This event is run by Mark Cole of the NHS London Leadership Academy. He has worked in and around health care for 35 years, beginning as an Operating Department Orderly in 1981. In 2012, he completed his Doctorate in Education at the University of Greenwich, with a thesis that explored reflective practice and healthcare professionals through the lens of power. His first book appeared under the title Radical Organisation Development (Routledge, 2020); more recently, he co-wrote with John Higgins a book called Leadership Unravelled: The faulty thinking behind modern management (Routledge, 2022). Their new title on voice, silence and power in organisational life is due to be published early in 2023. Mark blogs on organisational life at www.radicalod.org Mark is a visiting lecturer at the University of Hertfordshire Business School and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development.